Friday, September 24, 2010

Cliques

While our lives have changed drastically since high school as far as social circles, life will always be comprised of cliques. Even if a clique may be accepting and welcoming, a clique is often formed by close friends and so it takes a long time to "break in" and become one of them.
Right now I am facing being between cliques. I have changed and grown for the better for me, but I have grown away from friends. At the same time I have grown towards another group of friends. It kinda feels like I don't belong anywhere. This can happen at any time of your life. It can be caused by a job change, a location change, or just changes that can happen through different experiences. But just like any personal struggle it is important to sit down and look at it for what it is.
1. Why are you no longer hanging out with your old friends?
I have grown and changed a lot over the past few years. I was no longer comfortable with y friends that I had when I was in high school, college and after college. I was no longer happy, which doesn't make my former friends happy.
2. What are the changes that have occurred? Are they good or bad?
My changes have involved always being considerate, and becoming obsessed with being a proper lady. I have always lusted over the image of a women in always matching, classic, chic clothing. Always knowing what to say and when. I am working towards becoming like this, and I don't view this as a bad thing.
3. What are your new friends like?
My new friends are very accepting of everyone. They are Southern ladies and gentlemen, mostly Republicans, very preppy and they live to socialize. While not everyone described in this way is accepting, I have never felt left out by anything they did. And more importantly, I have seen them accept and befriend one of my former friends of California. A sweet sweet girl, but complete opposite of them.
While the list can go on and on in regards to how you have to analyze your new life, it is natural to go through changes. At this age we are on our own for the first time, truly figuring out who we are. It is difficult to figure this out, and it often involves many phases. So while you go through this time and feel constantly lost, sit down and ask about your current decisions, and make sure that if this were the permanent you, are you satisfied with yourself?

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more.
    People grow up and change so much in their 20's. I have changed a lot (for the better) just in the 2 years I've been out of college and living on my own. Being thrown into the world suddenly as an "adult" is a wake up call.

    ReplyDelete