Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sportsmanship


For those of you not into basketball Tobacco Road is a series of about 4 colleges in central North Carolina all situated within hours of each other. Two of the schools are situated less than 10 miles from each other. This is arguably the number 1 college basketball rivalry of all time. DUKE and UNC! Considering the first game of the season between the two teams is tonight, let me go over good sportsmanship. 
  • Remember! The other fans have feelings! Don't make fun of the other teams players (on the outside). The other fans are fans of the other team for a reason. Respect their reasons (even if in your opinion they are wrong). Remember that they are people, and in many cases your friends.
  • Cheer! You are watching sports! Clap your hands, whistle when appropriate. But don't boo! Don't yell out when the ref makes a bad call (although grunting is expected). It makes you look bad. 
  • Congratulate! One team is going to win, and hopefully the better team. But one team will lose. And there is a chance that the losing team will be yours. You don't have to run around shaking hands as soon as the game is over, but if you have a friend who is a fan of the opposing team, tell them "Good Game!"
  • Most importantly: If the better team (your team) does win, don't get in the opposing fans face. Their team, and often pride and joy, just let them down. They are upset. Getting in their face could cause problems. Tell them their team did a very good job. Maybe even site one point when you thought the game was over. Offer to buy them a beer. 
  • And of course Go DUKE!

4 comments:

  1. ...I'd offer to buy you a beer, but you are far far away.


    I have three other Duke-fan-friends and those two/three games a year are always a bit awkward for us lol. One of them suggested us all watching the game together a couple times, but I really think we'd all kill each other at the first bad call or technical foul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer! I went to a sports bar to watch the game. 4 out of 5 of the people I went with were Duke fans, luckily the 1 was really nice and quiet. And the bar we went to contained 75% UNC fans. It sucked. But Duke's defense was down. I'm still proud of my boys though!!!!! Good game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were moving to NC end of March, Ft. Bragg. Military post. Cant' wait to get out of El Paso, Tx. I hear NC is really nice. Looking forward to the trees and green grass

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived here all my life, so I'm a bit biased, but I love it. I'm sure everywhere has its own pluses and minuses, but in my opinion NC is the best!

    ReplyDelete