Saturday, February 14, 2009

Food Storage


When you start out on your own, you aren't really sure about expiration dates on foods. Your parents generally took care of this, and you are beginning to realize that the food you buy, won't last forever, as you walk into your apartment one day and realize by the smell that most of your food has gone bad. This is a great little cheat sheet that will help you to know how long to keep your food, and when to throw it out.
  • First: have a labeling system. Buy a labeler (or just some masking tape), and whenever you buy an item write down the date you bought it. Time can get away from you fast, and with as much food as you may buy, you may forget to throw something out. 
  • Apples: 3 weeks: Store them in the refrigerator, unwrapped. Also, don't touch them! 
  • Grapes: 1 week: Store in the refrigerator in a vented plastic bag. They often come in bags like these, and for a reason! 
  • Berries: 3 days: Keep them in a ventilated container in the refrigerator
  • Onions: 2 months: Store in a cool, dry, ventilated place. 
  • Carrots: 3 weeks: Remove the green and store in a plastic bag. Limp carrots can be resuscitated by soaking in ice water for 30 minutes.
  • Raw Chicken: 1-2 days: Keep refrigerated at 40F or lower. Always observe "use by" dates.
  • Cooked Chicken: 3-4 days: Refrigerate in shallow, covered container
  • Ground beef: 2 days: Keep refrigerated and observe "use by" date; freeze if use more than 2 days from purchase.
  • Eggs: 3-5 weeks: Keep on a lower shelf in the refrigerator- not the door.
  • Pizza: 3-4 days: Put in refrigerator within 2 hours of delivery or else throw it out. Keep it wrapped and refrigerated otherwise. 
  • Flour: 6-8 months: Store in a sealed container in a cool dry place. Keep out moisture. 
  • Dry pasta: Up to a year: Store in a cool, dark place in a sealed container to keep away mold and weevils (tiny, grain-loving bugs)
  • Whole Coffee Beans: 1 month: The flavor is best within the first 10 days. Store in a cool dark place in a container.
  • Ground Coffee Beans: 2 weeks: same as above.
If you are anything like me, and work retail, and are on your feet for 8 hours, you don't always feel like making anything for dinner. And on some nights money could go to waste if your food spoils in a matter of days. So, if your recipe calls for something that spoils within days, esp meats, pick it up on your way home. You can't know exactly how your day will go, even the day before, so it is best to buy expensive food that spoils fast when you know exactly how you will feel. 
It is best to buy in bulk. You get more for each individual penny. But it doesn't make a difference if you only use about half of it. Don't buy a huge thing of coffee, if you are the only one who drinks it in your house (unless you drink a cup every hour). Gage how much you really use. But always remember these dates in order to eat the freshest possible food, and stay as healthy as possible. 
And for even more go to: www.realsimplereallife.com/television/browse-by-topic/food-recipes/how-long-last-00000000005600/idex.html?iid=rs.comhp

6 comments:

  1. This is very helpful. I am ALWAYS wasting food because I always forget to use it before it spoils. It's so sad. Which reminds, I better make that chicken I have in the fridge by tomorrow. Sigh. Adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. This is definitely the stuff I always have to call my mom about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the queen of buying things, allowing them to spoil and having to toss them. It's amazing how much I waste. And every single time I tell myself "not this time, I'll actually use it," but it NEVER happens!

    Bananas and grapes are the worst. I buy them at the store, maybe eat half, and then toss them once I remember they are there because they're starting to smell.

    This is seriously a habit I need to curb ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great advice. It's really not that hard. Putting some of these meals together can take as long as top ramam! :) we just got a label maker and it has rocked my world. I had no idea how many labels were needed! My mailbox is super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just found your blog and I have loved browsing it! I plan on coming back! I just graduated from college and am looking at getting an apartment and all that good stuff. . . thanks for sharing the lessons you've learned - very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Just discovered your blog through 20sb :) I am so the worse for cooking ! gotta move to college in a few feeks and i still have no idea how i'm gonna feed myself!

    By the way, my name is Valerie and I am working as an intern for a website named HerFuture.com and basically it's a wonderful tool to create connections and mentoring relationships with other likeminded women. It's just very inspiring and I met amazing people there! I think you might be interested in checking it out. There are many groups called Power Posses for all type of subjects including health, career opportunities, self growth …etc. Members share their goals and desires, and are encouraged to reach out for advice. It is really a wonderful place and there is such a great positive energy out there. It’s so regenerative!

    If you have any questions about it, I'd be more than happy to answer it :)

    Anyway, I'm on the website if you decide to create a profile, so don't hesitate to add me and I could introduce you to some other people depending on what you’re looking for.

    ReplyDelete