Saturday, January 17, 2009

How to be independent!


I can't speak for every girl, but I don't want to be the type of girl who has to call a guy everytime I order furniture from IKEA (with "some" assembly required), or I want to hang something. For major repairs, I usually call apartment maintenance, or a repairman later on in life, but for basic repairs, it is good to be able to do it yourself. Here are some tips and tricks that will allow you to be more independent.
  • Buy a toolbox! Don't just throw your random tools in a drawer or anything. Buy a small toolbox and some of the staple tools. You don't need anything huge, because you don't need every tool. My toolbox has a hammer, nose pliers, regular pliers, a double ended screwdriver, a battery powered screwdriver, and various sizes of nails and hooks and a small kit with nails and screws and hooks. The screwdriver (especially a batter powered screwdriver) is the most important if you plan on buying furniture that requires assembly.
  • Learn how to use your tools, including the proper name. Get a guy friend to help you with this one day. Learn how to properly drive a nail and screw a screw. Once you learn the basics, you should be able to do any simple thing (don't attempt to build a new armoire with a few pieces of wood.) 
  • Buy a step ladder! If you need to change a lightbulb, especially an important one, you don't want to have to wait for a guy friend or maintenance. Get a ladder so that you can fix it immediately yourself. Sometimes just a chair will work. But if you have 9 foot ceilings and are about 5'4" the ceiling will not be reachable with just a chair.
  • Buy a book! The Bad Girl's Guide series is a great book that is very helpful. There is one about the open road that includes travel tips, such as how to change a flat time (although AAA is the best way if available). This is an entire series, so check out the rest and see what you find.
It's great to be independent. It's much easier to be able to do things for yourself (but this ability can be hid to make you man feel like your savior). You can get things done much faster and you will feel empowered when you are done. Take these tips and do your best to become independent so that you will feel more confident and more powerful! 

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, I was more dependant when I was single. Now that I'm married I've become more independent when it comes to things like this. We had some stay cats hanging around outside that tore our screen to shreds. I was going to get my husband to fix it but he takes to long and I'm not very patient so I went to home depot and totally rescreened the entire porch myself. Thank you, thank you. It looks AWESOME I might add. :D Thanks for the tips as usual!

    ReplyDelete